Thursday, October 9, 2008

Washington Post Interview with Troy by Steve Goff


A Few Minutes With Troy Perkins
What's it like being back in Washington?

"It's weird. I actually came out to D.C. United training [Tuesday morning] to say hi to everyone because I never really got a chance to say goodbye last winter. It was funny because Ben Olsen was out here on the practice field, trash-talking with everyone as usual, and he kind of looked over and looked at me and then turned back around. I just kept walking and then he turned around again and recognized me. I said, 'That's right, it's me!' He came running over. It was good to see those guys."

Overall, how have things gone for you with Valerenga?

"it's been a good move. For my career, I feel like I have made huge strides. I am in a good environment with a great club that I feel apart of and grown to love."

How would you describe the level of play in Norway?

"It's quite good. It's a lot faster than MLS and you have all the big guys because all the athletes play football there. It's physical, like in England, but obviously closer to the Championship division than the Premiership. You don't have the technical players. There are some, but not as many as you find in England."

More below.....


How's the language and culture in Norway?

"The language sucks. It's a tough one to learn. Everyone speaks English and they love to speak English with you. You start speaking English to them, they think it's great. Oslo is a fantastic city and we have a lot of friends there now. Socially, it's getting better and better."

Is your wife working there?

"No. She graduated from Auburn with a degree in pharmacy, and she can't get a job in Norway because she doesn't speak Norwegian. She could be a pharmacist or work alongside a doctor. She was going to come back here to Washington to work and learn the language, but then we found out she's pregnant. So she has stayed. The health care takes care of everything. It has worked out in the end. She'll learn the language there and, that way, when we're settled with the baby, she'll be ready to go."

When do you find out you were being called into U.S. camp?

"It was only a week or two ago. It was a fax to our sports director. He showed it to me. To be honest, even after that fax arrived, I didn't think it was going to happen. I thought it was just an early list that they came up with and I would be the fourth goalkeeper on it. But when the plane ticket showed up, I got a big smile. It was finally nice to have that chance again [after being in one other camp, in early 2007]. I'm here to get better, to learn, no matter what position I am in, and leave a good impression with these guys."

No comments: