Tuesday, October 14, 2008

How did we found out?

Everyone has been asking me how I told Troy I was pregnant; well here is the story…

It all started on a Tuesday evening…Troy was gone to an away game and I decided to go and pick up some beer at the market that morning. Well, after a hard day of work (you know the house cleaning, laundry,….haha). I decided I would have a nice cold beer while watching TV. I went, opened up the fridge, grabbed a cold one, and poured it into a wine glass (that is how they drink it over here, actually to think of it they drink everything out of wine glasses.) Well, as soon as I got it out of the damn can, got it into the glass and started to take a sip, it dawned on me that this doesn’t smell good and I really don’t want a beer. First, let me tell you I am NOT an Alcoholic, but for me to turn down a beer (and Norway has some good beer) there must be something wrong with me. So I sat on the sofa and contemplated why on earth I didn’t want a beer. DING, DING, DING….AM I PREGNANT???? Well, of course when that thought came to my head I sure as hell didn’t touch the beer. And of course it is the time of day when all the Apotex’s (pharmacies) are closed (and they don’t carry pregnancy tests in grocery stores). Now I am cussing silently at my husband for bringing me to a country that does not have 24 hour pharmacies or groceries. Of course I am silently cussing because I don’t want my “maybe baby” to hear the words that are running through my head. The poor thing obviously didn’t even have ears at that point, but oh well. So after no sleep and waking up at 8:00am I went to the dreaded Apotek and bought a pregnancy test, of course thinking I was just overreacting about the whole situation. So I get home, pee on the stick, and of course it comes back GRAVID!!! Well, then I think to myself what the hell does that mean. So I rush off the toilet, almost falling on my face, to look up the word in my oh so handy pocket dictionary. Well, of course we all know now that GRAVID equals PREGNANT. I was looking for IKKE GRAVID (not pregnant) because Troy and I weren’t planning on this. (We all know what a planner I am too!) Next, I rush back to the Apotek to buy four more tests because surely that test was wrong because I am on the pill. It even says on my package insert in my birth control that it is 97%-99% effective. So I come home, pee on three of the four sticks (wanted to save one for the morning, just because that is what it says online to do.) I also looked up the instruction online in English because maybe I didn’t do the first one right the first time (even thought I was doubtful, I have counseled too many patients on how to use a pee stick, but this is Norway). But of course the other three and the one the next morning came back positive. There I had it! I was convinced! So now I am like…OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT. The first thought after that was “how am I going to tell Troy?” Well, I went through mixed emotions and convinced myself that Troy was going to be mad at me (we all know I hate it when Troy is mad at me). But then I thought… no he isn’t going to be mad. Well, it was game day and I didn’t want to tell him before the game and I really didn’t want to tell him after the game either because I believe this sort of news needs to be told in person. So I waited another sleepless night until he got home. So I met him at VallHall and as we were walking home, I just busted out in tears and Troy said “Honey what is wrong.” Then I proceeded to tell him that I was pregnant, more tears streaming out of my face and that I was sorry if he was mad at me. Well, of course he wiped my tears away (don’t know why guys do this sweet gesture, just makes me want to cry more because they are being so loving). He told me how could he be mad at me. He had a big smile on his face and just gave me the best bear hug. After I stopped crying and shaking we proceeded on our walk home. He then stated, “I can’t believe you would think I would be mad at you, especially something we made together.” Then I started laughing uncontrollably. We got home and Troy drank all the beer in the fridge and I went to bed.

1 comment:

ginnypharmd said...

lovely story betsy...i'm ready to see belly pics!!! even if you just sort of look pudgy, i want to see that belly. please, i needed circumference measurements, too. maybe weekly pics in the same t-shirt to let us see how big you are growing?! love you.