Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Danger...



Well the snow finally stopped and the sun came out today, so it was time to venture out and take a much needed walk. I don’t know who needed it more, Sydney or me. You think your troubles are over when the sun comes out and you are walking along the coast line with a beautiful view of the fjords…WRONG!!! You are just as in danger as if there was a blizzard outside. First, let me start by saying that Norway is a very well lit place, especially since darkness is a common thing in the winter (like 18 hours). So there are lots of lights placed EVERYWHERE. So just imagine it finally being sunny, however you still have to walk close to the snow plies so you don’t “slip-n-slide” down the road. However, you walk past a light pole and suddenly you hear a crash on the ground. First, you think your water has broken but then you realize that you might have just peed in your pants (J/K). Second, you think you are either being shot at or that the kids across the street are throwing snow balls (I should say ice balls right now) at you…however only to turn around and find a MASSIVE icicle on the ground. I swear the thing could have killed you or at least caused some major brain damage. (12 inches long and 3 inches in diameter, and pointy as hell--the picture above does no justice). I am not exaggerating either. So now instead of worrying about sliding around or it being too damn cold, you have to worry about getting struck by a damn icicle. But as I write this I think I rather dodge icicles in sunny weather instead of dreading going outside tomorrow as it is suppose to be -6F (-21C). Oh how I long for summer.

No comments: